Five creative ways to Give Promotional Items to Fans
Posted by Stumps Spirit on November 21, 2012
1. Team members play Santa. Have team members carry the swag in sports bags or packs at all times during the promotional period and ask them to pass it out according to their own whims or judgment. You can give the participants short announcements or “blurbs” to say or read for the moments they find themselves in crowds and decide to open their packs.
Small wearable team supplies, such as lanyards or wristbands, are good choices for this kind of distribution; no matter where the team members end up, the items can be put on immediately for hands-free convenience.
2. Fans get bonuses. A pizzeria, coffee house or other popular local hangout can provide promo items to customers who make purchases. (These same types of businesses also would make good sponsors!) Stadium cups and other drinkware make sense here, as do foam spirit products, for example mitts and wavers, which can easily be slipped into shopping bags.
3. You reward good works. Hook into a fundraiser and reward giving, by giving. You tend to see canned food drives and coat drives this time of year, and they are often covered by local media. Be sure you’re there with smiles, greetings and your goodies – perhaps hot cider or coffee served up in travel mugs.
4. Mascots crash parties. We’re kidding…mostly. Gather community calendars and figure out where the crowds will be on Saturdays. This time of year there are probably special activities planned, such as the arrival of Santa, to draw families to your town’s main business district for holiday shopping.
Have your mascot stand outside a business to share freebies (after getting permission from the owner or manager, of course) or just roam the streets where the crowds are. This might be the time for items that appeal to kids, too, such as balls and temporary tattoos.
5. Fans win prizes. Offer products as game prizes at a winter carnival or trade show. Have prizes on hand of differing values for first, second and third place. Seat cushions are nice, practical items for first-place winners but be sure to have something for everyone who participates.
When you go out of your way to promote your team, people notice and remember. That’s exactly what a promo is for!