Posted by Stumps Spirit on August 7, 2012
With back-to-school comes a new focus for high-school students: homecoming! When you’re trying to think of fun, new things for homecoming this year, why not add spirit games? Prizes could include free tickets to the homecoming dance or a gift card so the winner can get dinner or go see a movie. You can also pick a few themes and let your students vote for their favorites—or do a different theme every day of homecoming week! Here are a few easy themes and fun spirit games to try:
- Old Hollywood Glamour Theme: Roll out the red carpet for homecoming week! Decorate the entrance to your school to look like the outside of an old-fashioned theater, complete with Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Pressley, and James Dean standees, to get your students into the spirit of the week. At lunch, you could set up a ticket booth reminiscent of ticket booths at those old theaters to sell homecoming dance and football game tickets as well as hand out popcorn. Your spirit game or contest idea here could be impersonations! Hold a small talent competition in which your students can show off their impersonations.
- At the Carnival Theme: Students never get too old to go to the carnival! Hang streamers from the ceiling throughout the hallways of your school and decorate the main hall with bright colors and fun balloons. Serve a different carnival-themed snack each day: popcorn, caramel apples, and cotton candy are great options. The fun spirit game you could tie into this theme could be a balloon animal contest! See which students can make a balloon animal, flower, or hat, and then have a panel made up of teachers judge to see who wins.
- Under the Starry Night Theme: While typically, a moonlit theme is more associated with a dance, you could take and it create moonlit cookouts for lunch throughout the week. Make it tailgate-related for the upcoming game! Serve hot dogs, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, and potato chips—you could even let your students sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather for a few more days before the chill of fall sets in. What kind of spirit game could you incorporate here, you ask? Challenge your students to show their school spirit: have them make t-shirts, wear face paint, do anything they can to create the best show of school spirit. The faculty of the school can judge again, but rather than one overall winner, choose a winner from each class. This way, your students will have a chance to get to know someone they might not have otherwise met.
These are just a few suggestions—your choices for homecoming themes are wide and varied. The best way to get your students pumped for homecoming is to do something different to catch their attention every day of the week. By choosing a theme that has so many different possibilities, your students will definitely be ready to show their spirit at the big game!
Posted in Carnival Theme Event, Hollywood Theme Dance, Homecoming Theme, Spirit Week, Star Theme Dance | Tagged: Homecoming Spirit, Spirit Games | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Stumps Spirit on September 6, 2007
A night of starry magic awaits you! A celestial theme is a beautiful choice for your Homecoming dance. And it’s easy to create an enchanting atmosphere!
You can get started with celestial Homecoming kits. They are full of the decorations you need to make your dance a dazzling event!
Your starry dance will shine with our exciting dance tips below!
For your celestial Homecoming, send out Celestial Invitations to generate excitement about the upcoming event. Sprinkle some star confetti in every invitation to add a sparkling touch.
You can create the perfect magical evening with these simple decorating ideas! Use blue and silver or black and silver as your basic decorating colors. This will give a celestial touch to your dance!
• Hang star curtains in the entryway to welcome your guests to the dance. You can also drape star gossamer along the entrance for a more dreamy effect.
• You can create a dazzling pathway into the dance by placing our stars on metallic decorating paper on the floor.
• Use tons of stars everywhere – on the walls, tables and stage. There are giant die-cut stars, shimmer stars, star confetti, star garland and lots more to make your event sparkle!
• Star columns is perfect for the corners of your room or dance floor. It also makes a great photo setting!
• Balloons are an easy and affordable way to accent your dance area! You can use our star balloons everywhere – try filling the ceiling overhead, tying them to the backs of chairs, and placing bunches of them around the stage.
• Add lots of twinkle lights to your décor to create a sparkling atmosphere!
• Cover your tables with star gossamer or plastic table covers in blue or black. Don’t forget to add table skirts!
• Sprinkle star confetti around the tables to give them some shine!
• Place 3-D star centerpieces in the middle of each table. You can use the same centerpieces for all the tables, or mix them up. Either way, they’ll add pizzazz to your event!
• Simple blue or silver tableware will work well with your celestial theme.
• Order personalized napkins imprinted with your special Homecoming dance wording. Choose from a wide range of napkin and ink colors. Select a metallic foil, holographic foil, prismatic foil, or traditional ink imprint.
Rather than waiting until your guests are making their exit to give them a favor, some favors can be given during the dance, which will add color and glitz! The following favors will appeal to all your stargazing guests:
• Candles are always a great choice for dance favors! Our star votive candles would add just the right touch of celestial elegance to your Homecoming. Place them next to each place-setting for a little extra decoration.
• For those special Homecoming photos, our magic moment frame makes a wonderful favor. Use either a Polaroid™ camera to send a picture home with each student, or have the photos at school at a later date.
• Attach evening star keytag to napkins set at each place-setting. Students will love this starry gift!
Posted in Homecoming Dance, Star Theme Dance, Stumps Spirit | Tagged: Homecoming Dance, Star Theme Dance, Stumps Spirit | Leave a Comment »